Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Wednesday's Ray: A Helpless Mirage

  Hello! I'm back for now! I guess my ideas just come in random bursts of energy... I don't think this means that the writer's block has disintegrated entirely, but it has become sort of transparent...if that makes sense.

  Not too long ago, a close friend of mine was going through a really rough time. I'm not going to go into detail, but it was really rough. While it was probably really emotionally tumultuous for my friend, it was also really hard for me. I felt helpless. I mean, what could I do?
   If there's one thing in life that everyone hates, it's being helpless, but being helpless is just another one of those silly human mirages. No one is helpless. After all, the LORD is with us always, always there, always helping us out a long the way. So when exactly are we helpless?
   The truth is that we bring helplessness upon ourselves. We think, "There's nothing I can do.", but we can always pray. Prayer is what helped me through my hour of helplessness. In fact, prayer has helped me through all of my helpless hours. 
   Being helpless is turning your back on God. God promises us that he will always be ahead of us, beside us, behind us. God promises to always be there, here, everywhere. "'Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age.'" Matthew 28:20 (NLT). I don't know about you, but that sounds pretty solid to me. 
   When I told myself I was helpless, that there was nothing I could do for my friend...I prayed. I prayed because that's was my weapon, that was the power I had, and it was enough. It will always be enough. 
   The next time you find yourself with all of the walls closing in, just talk to God about it. (And don't you dare try to tell me that you're bad at praying! Nobody is bad at praying...that's another mirage that you've created for yourself.) When you've been abandoned by everyone, you have yet to be abandoned by God. That's a humbling piece of knowledge, isn't it? In life we will feel helpless, but we never actually are helpless. Helplessness has, is, and always will be a giant mirage, so stop fooling yourself that it's real.


"Our prayers may be awkward. Our attempts may be feeble. But since the power of prayer is in the one who hears it and not in the one who says it, our prayers do make a difference." --Max Lucado

No comments:

Post a Comment