Monday, May 26, 2014

Monday Sunrise: Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson

Fictional Character(s) of the week: Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson
Sherlock(Benedict Cumberbatch) and Watson(Martin Freeman) on BBC's Sherlock

Where they're found: The classic Sherlock Holmes books and stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle as well as many film and TV adaptions(Most notably the British-American films[pictured below], and the BBC drama [pictured above]).

Why I love them: First and foremost, I love the relationship that Holmes and Watson share. Their relationship is one of the most unique aspects of the characters, and it always warms my heart. Secondly, Sherlock's excellent deductions skills mixed with doctor Watson's no-nonsense attitude is quite captivating. 

Watson(Jude Law) and Sherlock(Robert Downey Jr) in the 2009 film Sherlock Holmes
 Other Notes: I personally love both the films and the BBC show. There are obviously a lot of adaptions, but I have only seen and loved those two. I saw a trailer for Elementary on CBS, but the idea of Watson as a girl just makes me cringe.

6 comments:

  1. Haha I just meant I absolutely agree with everything you just wrote :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic!! :D Hey, you should check out the Granada adaptions starring Jeremy Brett and David Burke (from the...80's I think? Somewhere around there). A-maz-ing. Seriously. They take a little getting used to, but if you're a fan of the Canon, you'll love them. The stories are SO close to the originals it's crazy--and the actors are sooo brilliant. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of those! I'll have to check them out sometime!! That sounds awesome! :D

      Delete