Friday, May 16, 2014

Life is Built on Originality

     So, I decided to just write whenever I want without just being Wednesdays or Saturdays. I will, however, still have Mondays for fictional characters of my fancy. This may also mean that I'll post more often because sometimes I have stuff written a week ahead of time, and that's why I'm changing it up! (Also, I'm a lot busier as of late, so I don't know when I will and will not have time to write stuff up...so...yea.)

   When you do what you love, there really is no wrong way to do it. You can write any way you want to write, you can set up your blog any way you want to set it up, you can sing anyway you prefer to sing, you can paint anything you desire to paint, et cetera, et cetera. 
As a writer who doesn't really plan on pursuing my writing career, I still want to have an identity as a writer. I still want to branch out and do what I want(Maybe this comes from the idea that I'll never be a writer professionally, maybe that's what drives me to branch out: the knowledge that nobody will ever know about what sort of ways I "branch/ed out"). Despite my notions to be different, the rules say otherwise.
Well, the rules of writing are just plain silly. The fact is, aside from the grammar nonsense, there aren't any rules to writing. I mean, if your book has a plot, then cool. If your book doesn't have a plot, then cool. I mean, a book is a book, so it's going to have a plot. Even if it seems like a silly plot to you, it's a plot.

   Plot (As defined by Dictionary.com): The main events of a play, novel, movie, or similar work, devised and presented by the writer as an interrelated sequence.

   It's all about having a plot, isn't it? Not just any plot, an original plot.


   Originality (As defined by Dictionary.com): The ability to think independently and creatively and/or the quality of being novel or unusual.

   Well, my attitude about originality is actually quite simple: If you made it, then it's original to you. It doesn't even matter that other people have done "the same thing", your piece of work is original to you. You created it, then it's original. It's *insert your name here* original. 

   Life is built on originality. If you do what everyone else is doing, then, yea, you're not gonna get anywhere. Don't let that bring you down, don't let people tell you that your work isn't original enough. If there's enough you in it, then it's original. No work of any kind is unoriginal if you let it display who you are.
(These words inspired this post, actually)
   The ideas that people put into your head about having to write a certain way, or paint a certain way, or sing a certain way, or whatever--you can break those rules. It's been done before, and it will be done again and again.

   One of the most notable people to break away from traditional writing was Emily Dickinson. She wrote poetry that broke the rules of poetry. And guess what? That's just her being original. If that's her original...what's yours?

   What's your original?

   Maybe you think that your original isn't original at all. It's too cliche, It's been done before...You might think to yourself. Blah. Blah. Blah.
Uh, helllllooooo! Who cares? I mean, if it's *insert your name here* original, then it's original. Deal. With. It.

   You can't not be original. 

   I know, I know, I have blamed many a things in my life for being unoriginal. I'll admit to that. But that's just my personal opinion about certain works of literature and such. My opinion is stupid, ignore it. 

This post is Sunshyne original

No comments:

Post a Comment