Saturday, April 5, 2014

Saturday Sunshyne: Books Are Like People

    Yes, that was me who stayed up until 4 am to finish a book I simply could not put down. I can say now that I have  finished reading a book with so much depth that I nearly drowned. It was called The Book Thief (I know, I know, I do actually like some popular books, but there's a reason why this one, and not some of the others...), and whilst drowning in my tears, I also drowned in the beauty, and the genius of such a book. I know, I have tried to figure out what it is that drives me to books that are so very different from what everyone loves, although it took a highly popular book to answer my questions of confusion (You can find my confusion here).
      I simply prefer books with depth. I prefer a book that needs to be read rather than one that wants to be read. I prefer the book that calls to me with its desperate, sad , soulful eyes and says, "Read me." with its lonely breath. I prefer the book that screams with meaning, that wants to know me as badly as I want to know it. I prefer books with hungry souls that just want a reader to find their pages upon pages of inky darkness fulfilling. 
     In contrast, a book with no depth but a very shallow one has always repulsed me. I cannot stand and watch books that shout their greatness with self-indulged enthusiasm. I cannot begin to tell you how revolting the books with the big egos and little meanings appear to me. They are worse than books that drown me because they so desperately want to be read by just one more person. Just one more. When they cannot draw me in with their sheer greatness, they trap me. They tell me I'm not narrow-minded or foolish for picking them up and enjoying them. I will shamefully admit, I have fallen into their traps before. I have loved books with no depth. 
    The thing is though, I have realized that books are like people. Some people have depth, and some do not. I have realized that though people do not sit on a shelf in my room, I still tend to look at them like I look at books. I prefer the ones with depth, but I want to love them all wholeheartedly. Just as a book is a book, a person is a person. So, I must love them all. All of the books and all of the people. Books always have been a lot like people, don't you think? A book, like a person, is often judged on what their outside contains, and not what's inside. There's one thing that people can do, that books cannot do. Change. People can change.
    So, I have found out more than one thing about myself, I have found two. I have answered two questions, and one of them I didn't even know existed. Books are books, and people are people.


"The eyes are useless when the mind is blind."~Unknown


     

No comments:

Post a Comment