Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Wednesday's Ray: Itching to Write

     I have just been itching to write! I want to write something, anything so very badly, but when I pick up my pen and hover it over the blank lined paper...nothing. This feels worse than having writer's block! What does one even do in this situation?

     Well, write about it, obviously!
     So, here I am, writing about my simply terrifying dilemma. Here I am telling you. Hi! 
     As a writer of many different things, I have this itch that cannot be scratched, and there's just nothing I can do about it...aside from write about it, of course! 
    I have always thought that the eternal struggle was to get what's in your head to the paper, but I was so mislead! It's clearly wanting to write ever. So. Badly. BUT you can't seem to find anything worth writing about. (Nothing aside from the problem itself!)
   For every writer, the struggle is different. I mean, I guess some writers never have writer's block (Which is not even remotely normal, by the way), some writers have a special technique to avoid writer's block, and others--like myself--just let the block come rolling toward us because we're too lazy to avoid it. Every writer knows these things, right? How, might I ask, do those writers cure their impossible-to-scratch itch?! Is there a cure?!
   I was thinking writing prompts? I mean, writing prompts are always a good way to get your gears turning. Or, even better, I could just write about it...
   So, yes, this was my Wednesday morning rant about having the desire to write, but nothing to write about. Sorry if I bored you. 


“You see, in my view a writer is a writer not because she writes well and easily, because she has amazing talent, because everything she does is golden. In my view a writer is a writer because even when there is no hope, even when nothing you do shows any sign of promise, you keep writing anyway."--Junot Diaz

7 comments:

  1. Just push through! Keep writing:) I'm like you, letting the writers block roll towards me :-/

    But if you just can't write at all, READ.
    or clean something.
    Or take a walk.
    Or a drive.
    Go smell the roses
    Make a list of anything you want (favorite movies, characters, words)
    Exercise
    Eat chocolate (that's what I'm doing right now xD )
    Drink tea or coffee...chocolate milk...whatever floats your boat!
    Go through old photos or memory boxes...old letters...
    Go play with siblings or friends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Haha! You made my morning!
      I usually try "doing something" when writer's block hits me, and it usually helps a lot! I was actually able to get my pen out and write a little on a story last night, so yay! I don't think that means that I'll be up and blogging ALL THE TIME, but it has helped! You've helped too!;)
      Thanks for your encouragement, you're pretty rockin'! ;)

      Delete
  3. Oh Good Job! I love it when that happens after a severe writing block!

    You are so welcome! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know exactly what you mean, Sunshyne! I don't usually tend to follow my own advice, even if it's good advice (pssh, no one believes that xD), but I've heard that just observing the world around you and writing about it can help get the gears turning. :) You could...write about the things on your desk. Why you like that specific brand of pens you've got in your pencil holder, or the books you're reading. Sometimes I can't find anything to write about story-wise, fictional, you know, but instead I write about everyday life or my thoughts on something. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness. I just realized that's basically what most bloggers do... *facepalm* See? I'm terrible at good advice giving.

      Delete
    2. Hahaha! That's okay, I understand what you mean! I try to write about what bothers me in life or what's most important at the moment. Unfortunately, I DO get writer's block, haha!
      I like your advice though, it tells me that nothing is too boring to blog about! That's my biggest fear: being a boring blogger. *Nazgul screams in the far distance*
      Thanks for your advice, you blogger person, you! ;)

      Delete