Saturday, March 15, 2014

Saturday Sunshyne: Don't Get Comfortable

      Comfort zones. We all have them, and we all hate when we're out of them. I personally would love to stay at home all day, read a book, and drink coffee for the rest of my life. I love the comfort of knowing the people where I'm going, and knowing what's ahead, but that's just not the life that God gives us. He doesn't let us know what's coming or when things are coming, and you know what? That's a really good thing. 
     A massive change in comfort zones, for me, was when I went on my first missions trip last summer. I didn't know what was coming, I still tried to prepare myself as much as possible. By the end of a gruelingly hot week in the South, I didn't want to leave. If I could've stayed, I would have. You see, even though I had gone out of my comfort zone, I unknowingly entered a new one.
     I realized, as I fell back into my old life, that I was so attached to the place I'd been that I couldn't sweep it out of my head. Home was still home, but a piece of me had left itself in the South's dirt, and it didn't look like I was going to get it back. Truth be told, I still haven't gotten that piece of me back, and I never will. 
     I have discovered that a comfort zone can be used as an excuse to stay away from branching out, and that's an issue. You simply cannot say, "I would, but I that's out of my comfort zone." You may as well say, "the TV remote is across the room, but I don't feel like getting up.". Yep, I'm talking about laziness, spiritual laziness, to be clear. Nobody can afford to be lazy about stepping out of their comfort zone, because that just digs them into a deeper pit of selfishness. I'm not trying to say that you shouldn't have a comfort zone at all, but I am saying that you should be willing to leave your comfort zone and step into another one. Just give it a shot, and if you don't like it, you can always go back to where you came from. Trust me, it's worth the risk. In fact, it changed my life entirely. 
     Humans have this idea that stepping away from the comfort zone we know and love is scary, and maybe it is...but it's so rewarding. God has given us all a wonderful opportunity to step out of our dearest comfort zone and go do amazing things. Then, when we fall back into our everyday lives, we'll have left a piece of ourselves behind in the places we've been. A tiny piece of us roams the places we've been and awaits the opportunity to catch someone in its grasp. Let's allow ourselves to spread the sparkle that we born to give away.
   

“A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for.” ― William G.T. Shedd

No comments:

Post a Comment